Monday 5 September 2016

@WomenEd Reflections

So.  For those of you who weren’t quite sure what I meant by ‘endlessly optimistic’ and ‘frighteninglystubborn’, here’s a reckless story of irresponsible risk-taking for you: today is my due date, but we know first babies never come on time – I’ve read books about it and heard many a first-hand anecdote.  ‘Plan something for that day,’ a very good friend counselled me, so, instead of sitting twiddling my thumbs, I thought that attending a @WomenEd Lead Meet would be a good idea.  Thus far, this baby has been very well behaved and I am a strong believer in the power of positive thinking.  He is a considerate and thoughtful foetus, I decided, so he’ll work around this networking event.  

It was my first time at a @WomenEd event, and I have to say, even the decision to get on the tube was empowering experience.  One of @Miss_Wilsey's mantras is to 'be 10% braver', and one thing that I am committing to whilst being on maternity leave is to try my hardest to ensure that this time works for me - me as a mother, me as a professional, me as a human being.  If I feel like napping, I nap.  If I need to change nappies, I will change nappies.  If I can complete online learning, I will complete online learning.  If everything has to stop for baby's needs, then everything will stop.  Like the inspiring Karen Edwards who travelled around the world with her baby on her maternity leave, I am determined that there will only be solutions.  I could have sat this one out, just in case, but I decided to be 10% braver, changed out of maternity yoga pants, threw on a blazer, communicated the 'in case of emergency' plan to a colleague and jumped on the tube.

The 'Lead Meet' style get together was run as a series of short presentations from a whole variety of different women who shared lessons and models of leadership based on personal and professional experience.  Even during the event, reflections were being documented in a Twitter explosion (#WomenEd #LeadMeet), but at the end of the presentations, we were invited to reflect more comprehensively on our ‘takeaways’, so here are mine:


1. Networking is important.  


2. Now is the time to inspire.


3. The path of leadership journeys ne'er did run smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment